William Joyce – fire at his House, Sydney 1804

Oct 5th, 1804 | By | Category: Joyce Newspaper Reports

The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser – Sunday 7 Oct 1804

A fire broke out on Friday se’n night at the house of William Joyce, settler near Toongabee, by which the whole of the dwelling was consumed, together with almost every article of its contents ; including a large quantity of salted meat, between 50 and 60 bushels of wheat, the whole wearing apparel, &c. Such out-sheds as were contiguous were also burnt, and the stock could be saved with difficulty. The accident, which happened between 11 and 12 in the forenoon,was occasioned by a spark from the chimney lodging in the roof ; the rapidity of the flame was much increased by the very high wind prevailing at the time.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar