Richard Steven JOYCE 1889 – 1947

Feb 25th, 1947 | By | Category: Uncategorized


Richard Steven JOYCE (John Henry[2], Michael[1]). Born, 23 Jun 1889, in Hobart, Tas (TBI RGD 1087/1889). Died, 25 Feb 1947, in Tas.

He married Annie Gertrude BEGENT, daughter of William Arthur BEGENT and

Mary Ann FOX, 17 Jan 1914, in Launceston, Tas. Born, 5 Nov 1885, in Tas. Died,

13 Oct 1947. Children:

19             i.              Jean Mary[4].

20             ii.              Richard William.

21             iii.             Albert.

22             iv.             Thomas George.



Jean ROUTLEY, daughter of Richard JOYCE writes ‑

                “Dad and his brothers and sisters went to Bismarck State School and Dad always said they had three miles to walk to school. I think Bismarck must have been a suburb of Hobart, Dad said the name was changed at the start of the First War because it was a German name but I don’t know what it was called after that. I have two book prizes awarded to Dad at school, one date Christmas 1900 and one Christmas 1901. Dad said they used to miss quite a lot of schooling because they had to stay home and work on the farm and I think they left school quite early.”[1]


                “Mum and Dad met in Launceston but I don’t know where or when. They were married on 17th January 1914 and lived for a short time at Grant Street, Launceston and then moved to 5 Cypress Street, Launceston. They were there for about ten years and haad about five other moves over the  years. Did not own a house, always rented. Dad was a driver for a Grain Merchant doing deliveries by horse and cart, then after that worked as a labourer on the wharves at Launceston. Don’t know the reason he left the first employer.”[2]


                “We lived in Newstead in Launceston when I was a small child, then at about age nine we moved to Charles Street near the General Hospital…I lived with Mum and Dad during the Second World War, Pam and Brian were at school by then and Bill (my husband) was at the war in the army. Mum’s health was failing and she and Dad both died in 1947, Dad on Feb 25 and Mum on Oct 13.”[3]


                “…My father worked for a firm of Grain Merchants ‑ don’t know their name ‑ delivering grain and chaff around Launceston. He was there for some years and for some reason that I don’t know of he left and went to Waverley Woollen Mills where they made blankets. After that he worked on the wharves in Launceston loading and unloading ships and was there until he died. During the Depression Dad usually had about three days work per week and on other days (he bought a horse and cart) and went to the bush cutting firewood and selling it. The Depression years were very hard for most people, we always had enough food and clothes but there was never anything  over each week.   Mum and Dad rented the house we lived in , so they did not have to worry about a mortgage.   Many people lost their homes because they could not keep up the payments. Our first home was at 5 Cypress St., Launceston, after a few years there we moved to 275 Charles St., and then to 87 Canning St., Launceston. As the family increased we needed a larger house as I had three brothers in the finish, hence the several moves. Two of my brothers and I went to East Launceston State School and then when I was nine years old and we were living in Charles St., we went to Charles Street State School. Tom, the youngest, also went there ‑ from there I went to Launceston State High School. Work for most people was almost unobtainable (as now) and there was no such thing as the ‘dole’. Parents could obtain ration tickets for food and firewood if they needed them. Two of my brothers, Bill and Bert, wanted to be plumbers but nothing was available and ended up delivering milk. Tom the youngest, was lucky enough to be apprenticed to a plumber and after a number of years, went to night school and became an engineer. The Second World War really changed everything and from then on the Depression was over.  I can’t remember any special family occasions except Christmas Day. We always had presents on the foot of our beds in the morning and a special dinner which consisted of roast beef, chicken, ham, vegies and a lovely plum pudding and custard or cream. Mum always made two puddings, one for New Years Day. We always had chicken on Easter Sunday too, it was always a special treat not an everyday thing like it is now. Dad always had a few fowls and grew vegies as well.   Mum and Dad were always very  strict on discipline and we had to do as we were told and also do our share of chores around the house.”[4]


                “Mum was strict too! We were allowed to talk at the dinner table but had to behave ourselves and do as we were told without question. Had to go straight home from school without dawdling on the way and stay home until time to go next day. My brothers had to cut up all the wood for fires, fuel stove and open fire in the lounge, no electric or gas stoves in those days. They also had to help with the washing up which I had to do too. I also had to help with sweeping, dusting, making beds etc. No one had a fridge in those days, so I had to go to the butcher every morning before school to get the days meat. The grocer used to call for a list of things we needed and deliver them the  same day, also greengrocers used to go from door to door with fruit and vegetables.   Life was very different than it is today and only wealthy people had a car.   No supermarkets either.”[5]

    [1] ROUTLEY, Jean, pers comm, 15/02/1989

    [2] ROUTLEY, Jean, pers comm 02/09/89

    [3] ROUTLEY, Jean, pers comm 15/02/1989

    [4] ROUTLEY, Jean, pers comm 09/04/1990

    [5] ROUTLEY, Jean, pers comm 11/08/1991

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar