Joyces of Mervue – Landed Estate Database

Nov 28th, 2012 | By | Category: Tales of the Joyce Family

ESTATE: JOYCE (MERVUE)

Associated Families

Description

The Joyces of Mervue, Corgary and Rahasane were all descended from a family of Joyces long established in the town of Galway. In the 18th century the Joyce family prospered in their mercantile and banking activities and began to acquire land, including the lease of Mervue from the Governors of the Erasmus Smith Schools in 1789. In 1792 they sold property in county Mayo to the Blakes of Towerhill. In the 19th century the Joyces of Mervue held lands in the baronies of Clare (Annaghdown, Claregalway and Lackagh parishes), Tiaquin (Killoscobe parish), Longford and Dunkellin, county Galway and in the townland of Kinlough, parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. By the 1870s they owned 3,742 acres in county Galway, 146 in the town of Galway and 381 acres in county Mayo. Thomas Joyce bought Rahasane Park in 1846 and in 1855 Pierce Joyce was leasing Ardfry House from the trustees of Lord Wallscourt. Frank Joyce was agent to the Earl of Clanricarde between 1882 and 1887. In 1909 Pierce Joyce had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts Board for over 300 acres of his estate.

Houses

House Name / Description Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ardfry (H609)
Lewis mentions the seat of Lord Wallscourt in the parish of Oranmore but refers to it as Wallscourt rather than Ardfry, which is actually located in the parish of Ballynacourty. The Ordnance Survey Field Name books mention it as Ardfry House, the residence of Lord Wallscourt At the time of Griffith’s Valuation it was being leased by the trustees of Lord Wallscourt’s estate to Pierce Joyce when it was valued at £60. The house was built in the late 18th century and altered in 1826. The seat of Lord Wallscourt in 1894 and in 1906. It has been in a derelict state since the mid-20th century. In 2006 it was offered for sale as part of a scheme to create luxury apartments in the building.
image image
Ardfry Ballynacourty Galway Ballynacourty 53 Dunkellin Galway Lat/Lon:53.23630
-8.97659
OSI Ref:
M348211 Discovery map #46. OS Sheet #94.
Mervue/Merview (H610)
Built circa 1777 by the Joyces. In 1786 Wilson refers to a house near Galway as the seat of Dr. “Joice”. The house was sold by them to Royal Tara China in 1953. This company occupied the building for over 50 years, closing down at the end of 2003, though the shop premises still operates from this building. A fire badly damaged the original building in 1957.
Ballybaanbeg St Nicholas Galway Galway Rural 41 Galway Galway Lat/Lon:53.28360
-9.01666
OSI Ref:
M322 264 Discovery map #46. OS Sheet #94.
Caltra Lodge (H845)
The home of P.J.Joyce in the late 1830s and of Mary Joyce in the 1850s. The Joyces held this house from the Bellews of Mount Bellew. On the 25-inch map of the 1890s it is labelled as Caltra Park. The ruin of the original house was visible until the end of the twentieth century,
Caltra Killosolan Mountbellew Caltra 144 Tiaquin Galway Lat/Lon:53.44082
-8.43043
OSI Ref:
M714 435 Discovery map #46. OS Sheet #60.
Kiltullagh House (H1098)
In 1786 Wilson mentions “Kiltolla” as the seat of Patrick D’Arcy. Lewis records Kiltullagh House as the seat of J. D’Arcy in 1837. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation, Pierce Joyce held a herd’s house here valued at almost £4. It is described as “in ruins” on the 25-inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s and these ruins are still extant.
image image
Kiltullagh North Kiltullagh Loughrea Kiltullagh Athenry Galway Lat/Lon:53.27719
-8.64618
OSI Ref:
M569254 Discovery map #46. OS Sheet #97.

Archival sources

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar