Fitzpierce Joyce 1864 – 1936

Feb 11th, 2018 | By | Category: Joyce Biographies

The following comes from https://www.myheritage.com/person-3000093_171814061_171814061/fitzpierce-joyce

Biography

Fitz Pierce Joyce parent was Pierce Joyce married Eileen Persse Daughter of The late Mr. De Burgh Persse was the youngest son of the late Mr. Burton Persse, of Moyode Castle, Galway, and was born in 1840. Father Peirce Joyce of Mervue demand of seventeen children included 9 boys. Four brothers went to Australia – Willie or William, Patrick Fogarty, Raoul and Fitzpierce later joined by young brother Edgar. Fitz pierce brother purchase a property called: :Craigmore” outside Dalby Qld note: all the other brothers invest $2,000 into Craigmore.

EIDSVOLD STATION.

Romance of Upper Burnett.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/19305522?searchTerm=Pierce De Normanville&searchLimits=

OBITUARY

Mr. F. de N, Joyce.— Mr. Fitzpierce de Normanville Joyce, owner of Eids vold station, Eidsvold, died at the Mundubbera General Hospital early yesterday morning after a short ill ness. The deceased, who was a well known breeder of cattle and horses, was a popular identity of the Burnett district, and last year was host to his Excellency the Governor (Sir Leslie Wilson), on the occasion of his visit to the station, and also to Lady Hore Ruthven when she visited Eidsvold station some months ago. The late Mr. Joyce came to Queensland from Ireland in 1885, and had owned Eidsvold station for the last 30 years. He was formerly chairman of the Eidsvold Shire Council and of the Eids vold Hospital committee, and took a keen interest in all matters for the advancement of the district. He leaves his widow, two sons— Messrs. Errol (Barney) Joyce, who at present is in the Argentine, and Raoul Joyce(Eidsvold station), and Misses Ismay, Naomi, Ninette, and Elaine Joyce, the first-mentioned of whom is in Lon don, and the others at Eidsvold station Mr. Edgar Joyce, of The Overflow, Beaudesert, is a brother. Acting Sergeant P. W. Leonard.— The Commissioner of Police (Mr. Car roll) was notified yesterday of the death, early that morning, at Cairns District Hospital, of Acting Sergeant Peter William Leonard, following on an operation. The late Acting Ser geant Leonard, who was about 43 years of age, had been promoted to non commissioned rank and transferred from Brisbane in March last. He had previously seen service at South Bris bane and Lowood, as well as at the City Watchhouse. He was enrolled in August, 1914, and had an excellent record of service. He was a native of Millmerran, and is survived by a widow and two children.

 

Norman-Ville (Barney) Joyce (1908-1983), grazier and cattle-breeder, was born on 28 June 1908 at Bundaberg, Queensland, second of six children of Fitzpierce de Normanville Joyce, grazier, from Galway, Ireland, and his Queensland-born wife Rose Eileen, daughter of De Burgh Persse. Educated at home by governesses and at The Armidale School, New South Wales (1921-25), Barney worked on the family’s cattle property, Eidsvold station, in the Burnett district of Queensland. In the 1930s he travelled extensively in Australia and overseas, and investigated cattle-raising in Brazil and Argentina. After his father’s death in 1936 Barney, his brother Raoul and his mother formed the partnership of Joyce & Joyce. They acquired Gyranda, near Cracow, in Dawson River country; Barney managed Eidsvold and Raoul Gyranda. Their mother, who had a `good business head’, was reputedly a guiding force in the venture until her death in 1959.

On 1 December 1938 at St Mark’s Church of England, Darling Point, Sydney, Joyce married Joan Willoughby Dowling, granddaughter of Vincent Dowling. In 1942-45 he served as a private in the Volunteer Defence Corps. He was a member (1949-67) of Eidsvold Shire Council. In 1946-82 he was a board-member of Mactaggarts Primary Producers’ Co-operative Association Ltd (from 1977, Primac Holdings Ltd).

The Joyce properties initially ran and bred Hereford cattle, but after King Ranch (Australia) Pty Ltd introduced American-bred Santa Gertrudis cattle into Australia in 1952, Joyce & Joyce acquired four imported bulls in 1953-54, and ten heifers in 1955. These were crossed with Herefords to produce, over time, some ninety progeny, and the first cross-bred Eidsvold bulls were sold in January 1958. Thereafter Joyce actively promoted the breed. He clashed with breeders of `British’ cattle, most notably during and following a lecture on `breeding for the environment’ that he gave in 1959 at Armidale. A frequent speaker on the rural programs of the Australian Broadcasting Commission, Radio Australia and the British Broadcasting Corporation’s Asia Pacific service, he was an early advocate of dehorning cattle and of flexible fencing. He worked with the Queensland Department of Agriculture and Stock in experiments comparing Hereford and Santa Gertrudis cross-steers and provided field-work opportunities for agricultural students on Eidsvold station.

Helping to form the Santa Gertrudis Breeders’ (Australia) Association in 1955, Joyce served as a permanent councillor (1955-72), vice-president and deputy-president (1955-62), president (1964-66) and patron (1978-82); he was elected an honorary life member in 1973. While president he established a publicity fund; produced a booklet, Santa Gertrudis in Australia; instituted a formal studbook; and extended membership to breeders from Western Australia and the Northern Territory. A cattle judge at shows throughout Australia, he lectured on the Santa Gertrudis breed in Britain, the United States of America, the Pacific islands and Africa. He also promoted Eidsvold station, number two in the stud register, inviting such notables as Joyce Grenfell, Dame Annabelle Rankin, (Sir) Zelman Cowen and Prince Richard of Gloucester to open its well-publicised annual cattle sales. The Joyces twice entertained Prince Charles at Eidsvold and attended his wedding in 1981.

Eidsvold station in the Upper Burnett, not far from the township of the same name, like many of the Burnett stations, has most interesting: and romantic associations with the early pastoral life of this country. It was first discovered and occupied by those great Queensland pioneers, the Archer brothers, whose de- scendants arc to-day the well-known graziers of Central Queens- land.

In the same year that Messrs. An- drew Petrie and Henry S. Bussell set out in an old Government brig from Brisbane to explore the Queensland rivers, on which venture they entered and named the Mary River (Mary- borough’s stream), the two Archer brothers started from the Darling Downs for the North in search of new grazing country. They were the first white men to penetrate the rich Burnett River lands, and in the same year they took up immense tracts of country on the river frontage. One of these places was Eidsvold station, named after their old Norwegian home town, where the Archer family were big ship builders. The Archer brothers

Mr. and Mrs. F. Joyce.

were not content to remain very long on the Burnett; they had not lost the pioneering urge, and there was any amount of new country to be dis- covered farther north. They eventu- ally reached and settled on the fer- tile banks of the Fitzroy River in Central Queensland. Their Eidsvold Interests were disposed of to two young Scotsmen, Frank and Alec Ivory, who were recommended to the property by the Hon. John Forest, at that time principal of Moreheads Lim- ited, the Brisbane company that .is still in existence. The Ivory boys were inveterate sportsmen, and it has been said on good authority that they were the first to introduce golf to Australia. Some of their old golf irons are still on the station, where they had many a game on a specially cleared patch around the homestead. So that their business would not in- terfere with their sport they installed a manager, and made frequent trips to Sydney. They were particularly keen on hunting, and they often indulged in fishing in the old Burnett stream just below the homestead. They were a loveable type and well liked by the few pioneers already settled on the river. In 1878 Frank Ivory was rep- resenting the Burnett in the Queens- land Legislative Assembly. He was defeated for the seat by a man named Baynes, principal of Baynes Bros., Brisbane, the first Queensland exporters of tinned meats. In the Eidsvold homestead garden two giant bottle trees stand to their memory; they were planted by the partners longer than 70 years ago. One tree is known as “Frank” and the other as “Alec.” A few years after Eidsvold had been in the possession of the ¡partners the property was resigned to the Scottish Australian Investment Co., Ltd., and’

in 1905 it was acquired by Messrs. De Burgh Persee and Pitz-pierce Joyce. The partnership took over ad- ditional neighbouring (properties, in- cluding Culcraigie and Boolgall. Cul- craigie was afterwards sold to the Greenups of Wyalara, who after re- sumption returned back to their ‘original Marylands, near Stanthorpe. The homestead block is now in the possession of Mr. T. W. Traill, whose father, Mr. T. T. F. Traill, has interests near Mt. Perry and Eidsvold. His grandfather was Mr. W. H. Traill, who was an editor of the Sydney “Bulletin.” Some years ago Mr. De Burgh Persse, particularly well known among Queensland pastoralists, died, leaving his estate to his daughter, Rose EUeen, who had been for some time married to her father’s partner, Mr. Joyce. Tile old station, before closer settlement, enclosed about 500 square miles of first” class country within its boundaries. Besides the Eidsvold interest the estate has two good fattening properties on the Daw son River. _ I

EARLY GAYNDAH.

From 1882, and up to the time of taking up residence on Eidsyold Sta- tion, Mr. Pitz-pierce Joyce was man- aging Hawkwood, farther to the north I west. Mr. Joyce can recount many interesting stories of the old Burnett River sporting days, when Gayndah was the rendezvous of many an unforgettable festivity. Celebrations during Gayndah’s picnic race weeks were some of the most enjoyable times ever looking across the Burnett River, with the homestead of Eidsvold Station in the distance.experienced on the Burnett. Graziers and Stockmen from many miles around would meet. Many of the “young bloods” on these occasions rented a big house for the week, employing a chef and a necessary staff of servants. They were weeks of feasting and good fun. It was always the custom to invite to their banquets the police sergeant and ministers of religion. Those were the day’s when horses were raced solely for sport and in friendly rivalry, and “pulling up horses” was unknown. Mr. Joyce remembers one of the ministers of religion declaring at one of their banquets that he was going to get a racehorse so that he could join the fun. Hawkwood was famous up and down the country for its wonderful hospitality. Easter and Christmas were always memorable times on this station. Hawkwood had its big packs of staghounds and greyhounds, and the great Hawkwood kangaroo drives and dingo hunts were big seasonal events on the Burnett, not to mention the splendid steeplechases that were always to be found on the picnic calen- dar. In those days Hawkwood had a fine name for its superior horseflesh.

The first dwelling on Eidsvold Station, believed to have been erected by the discoverers-the Archer Bros.

There were as many as 600 well-bred horses on the run, the majority of them being purchased, over a number of years, by the i Indian Government for remounts, and by the Brisbane Mounted Police.

Eidsvold station, as was the case with all the Burnett stations, originally de- pastured sheep until spear grass” and stomach worms compelled the intro- duction of cattle. Durhams and Shorthorns were the first type used, but it was found by experience that Herefords were more adaptable to the country, being a hardier breed. This property has always been noted for its high quality Herefords, which, in the boom days, realised an average of £17. Mr. Joyce some years ago invented an instrument for dehorning cattle, and it is now used extensively throughout the cattle-raising countries of the world. Mr. Joyce is a firm believer in de- horning, and it is largely due to this practice that his cattle have always been sought, More cattle can be trucked, and bruising is almost neg- ligible.

COONAMBULA STATION.

A well-known property near Eidsvold Station is Coonambula, which in 1847 was taken up by the Archer brothers, who disposed of it to Messrs. Cameron, M’Kenzie, Murrin, and Cornish. The property later fell into the hands of Messrs. Knox and M’Cord, in which name it is still run. Coonambula has been highly developed, and the owners are regarded as excellent tenants in every sense of the word. Messrs. Knox and M’Cord at one time owned old Mundubbera station, since cut up, hav- ing secured it from Messrs. Perkins and Netterfield, who in turn acquired it from Mr. H. P. Bquverie, the original settler. Neighbouring» stations to Eids I void “in the old days also Included I Auburn, which belonged to a Melbourne ‘firm. This property was, perhaps, the largest station on the Burnett, having an area of 1300 square miles. What is left of Auburn is now owned by Messrs. M’Connell and Kirk, Ltd. Raw- belle, not far away, had an area of 800 square miles. Most of this his- toric station is now cut up, except for a small area, which is owned by the Shaw Pty/, Co., who were the owners over a great number of years.

Eidsvold Station homestead Is situated on a picturesque sweep of the Burnett River, about four miles from Eidsvold township, at one time a famous gold mining centre. The discoverer of the main Eidsvold reef (Mt. Rose) was a man named Achilles. It is said that this reef gave him a for- tune of £40,000, while the Melba reef realised half of that amount In divi- dends. Tlie Lady Augusta mine crush- ed as much as 32oz. to the ton. In the boom days there was a brewery and 13 hotels, which were busily engaged catering for miners 24 hours in the day. Old timers recall that during the rush aboriginals were receiving 1/ for a strip of bark, which was used for bark humpies. This rush took place about 40 years ago. The town to-day is a centre for pastoralists. Lately Messrs. Martin Snelling and Co., have been holding periodical cattle sales there, and they are regarded as the biggest of their kind in Australia.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar