Mr. A. Joyce, Burnie
The news of the death yesterday of Mr. Aloysius Joyce, a well; known andrespected resident of Burnie, comes asa shock to his many friends.
Mr. Joyce was for many years secretary of’ the Emu Bay Butter Factory,and also the Brookside Bacon Factory. He was born at Longford in 1848, and educated at “Westbury and Deloraine. He was the fourth son of the late Mr.Henry Joyce, who was a well-known architect in the early days of the colony. In his youth Mr. Joyce settled on the East Coast of Tasmania, and acquired a large amount of property,and was mainly responsible for building the Branxholm township. Like many others, he had severe reverses in mining speculation, and subsequently came to the North-West Coast, and settled in Burnie, where he has lived for over thirty years. He was married in 1867 by the late Rev. James Hogan to Miss Clara F Gregory, daughter of the late Mr. .Edward Gregory, of Bothwell. His wife pre-deceased him in July 1924, and he leaves a family of five sons and eight daughters: Messrs. J. C. Joyce (Essendon), Aloysius (Fremantle), Thomas -(Boulder City), John (West Australia), Douglas (Queensland), Mesdames Murdock (Scottsdale), W. Porter (Deloraine), F. Perkins (Latrobe), .J. Merle (Melbourne), T. O’Brien (Devonport), J. Don (Melbourne), Sister Alacoque (Deloraine), and Miss Aileen Joyce” (Bur-nie). Mr. Frank Joyce, of the electric’telegraph ‘department’, Hobart, is ¡grandson. .
Mr. Joyce was a staunch member of the Catholic Church, and has acted aschurch warden of the Star of the Sea Church from the time of its erection,He was so closely identified with thechurch that his death will be a great loss to the congregation.